Monday, June 15, 2015

Pain

Went to the doctor yesterday. The primary reason I went was for required bloodwork. I had a new-just learning to draw blood-technician. The first time she poked me, she didn't have a vein. On the second try, she found blood, but it was quite painful and left a crater that bled for quite some time after she was finished. And of course I now have a nasty bruise. Such is life.

Today I went to the dentist for my quarterly hygienist appointment. This time around the teeth only required a light cleaning, but my gums still hurt and my teeth are still humming. And cold or hot drinks are the work of the devil.

I'm not so self-centered or unaware that I don't know there are many, many folks out there who deal with unspeakable pain on a daily basis. Truly. But there are all levels of pain and some (like me) have poor pain thresholds. What my husband tolerates with minimal stress, is likely to be a hellish experience for me. Most local anesthetics don't work for me--or they take a long time to work and then wear off very quickly. My dentist (bless his heart!!!) is patient and willing to do whatever he needs to do to keep me pain free when he's working on my mouth.

I say all of this to point out everyone experiences pain differently. What might not be any issue at all for one person might be a nightmare for another. There is nothing that annoys me more, nothing that just peeves me in the extreme, as much as someone else trying to tell me I'm not really suffering as much as I say...because they had the same exact procedure/condition/experience and it didn't hurt at all.

I'm happy for them. Really. Now shut up. Because unless you're in my shoes, you just don't know what you're talking about. Pain, like so many other life experiences, is individual. And if you're fortunate enough to skip through life with minimal pain, then get down on your knobby knees and say a thankful prayer.

2 comments:

  1. Eeek! Yes, we each have our own experience. Hang in there, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy you really hit the nail on the head, Anny!!!! Pain is one of the most individualized experiences humans have.

    ReplyDelete