Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Final Edits

For those unfamiliar with the world of publishing...the final edits are the last chance for the author to make changes in his/her manuscript. The publisher sends the corrected/ edited ms back to the author and says, "One more chance..."

Some authors skim through and send it back, but I read it word-for-word. And still find errors, typos, and the occasional what-the-heck-was-I-thinking, head-scratching phrase. It's a slow process.

You might wonder why go through it all, then? Well, writing the book isn't enough. Editing and revisions aren't enough. If this is going to be what's left after I'm gone, I want it to be the best I can do--at this point in time. I might grow to be a better writer in the future. I sure hope so. But for now, this is the very best I can do.

And besides...I'm something of a perfectionist. I admit it. When I find errors in my earlier books I cringe. With every book, I strive to avoid that experience in the future.

So. Final edits. I'll be busy. ☺

anny

4 comments:

  1. In the beginning I was guilty of not going through final edits, but I've learned it's a BIG mistake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's got a bra on now. Was that your request or did the ebook police object to breasts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amarinda...that was at my request. This book will be out in print in July. Bookstores will not "stock" the book with the previous cover... :-)

    ReplyDelete