Monday, December 3, 2007

Kaenar Langford, Jude's Choice and the Annual Ornament

It's Monday again and I'm back on track with the Monday interview and review. Today my guest author is Kaenar Langford and I'll be reviewing her second book, Jude's Choice. She was sweet enough to take time to answer my questions in this busy time of year so why don't we jump right in and get to know her?

1) If you could start over with your writing career, what if anything would you change?
I used to wish that I had started writing earlier in life. That way, I could be sure that all these characters and ideas running around in my head would have a chance to get out and be put on paper. Then I realized that there are so many factors that enter into that decision to start writing.
I went to a workshop on ‘How to Write a Romance Novel’ and having to write an introductory paragraph to a romance novel began my writing career. Even though I was working full time, I still made time every day to write so I could finish that manuscript. The workshop was the catalyst in my life, without it, I doubt I would ever have discovered my addiction to writing.
I’ve also had a lifetime of reading romance novels, giving me a better idea of style and what readers like and don’t like.
The only thing I’d change is to live in a house that’s big enough to have a writing room for me instead of just a corner in the living room. I sometimes have to wear my son’s factory-job headphones to block out the noise. It looks pretty funny.

2) What was the best piece of advice you received regarding the life of a writer?
Keep submitting. Don’t give up. If they ask you to make changes, do it and resubmit.
Reread your manuscript, read it out loud, ask someone else to read it and make sure it flows, makes sense and has continuity.

3) If you could meet anyone, living or dead, who would it be?
I’d love to meet Jaid Black. I’d love to meet this woman who has pulled herself up from so much adversity and made such a success of her life. Plus she’s my boss and I’d love to meet the boss.


4) If you could meet any fictional character, who would it be?
I absolutely loved Jacob Kerr in Shannon McKenna’s story, Something Wild. That story became the inspiration for my first novel, Lucifer’s Angel, which was picked up by Ellora’s Cave. I’d love to meet him, in the flesh so to speak.

5) What do you want to be when you grow up?
I will never grow up. I retired in June after thirty years of teaching but I’m only 54 so my life is now a grand adventure. I can go crazy places to do research, like my trip to the largest gay spa/bathhouse in Toronto. I can attend conferences that take place during the school year and I can dress however I want, which I’ve already been doing for years.

6) In the next century, what do you hope people will remember you for?
I hope they remember the books I wrote and how it brought them laughter, joy and hot sex.


Jude's Choice by Kaenar Langford from Ellora's Cave

Well, yum. There are times when you want to read a murder mystery. There are times you want to read an action adventure. And then there are times you want to read a romance with hot sex and if that's your pleasure then Jude's Choice will deliver.

Jude is caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place. An icky alien critter has his navigator and lover, Toryn and he's holding him hostage until Jude delivers Delia. The alien's plans for Delia aren't pleasant by any means as he plans to take his revenge on her for something she did in the past.

Things go pretty smoothly for Jude as he stalks Delia and captures her, taking her aboard his ship. But somewhere along the way he realizes that Delia is just as important to him as Toryn. Suddenly, his choices are limited.

He rescues both Toryn and Delia and then must face another dilemma. What if Toryn and Delia don't like each other? What if they refuse to share him? How will he decide between them?

This is a steamy, hot story (and I do mean steamy!) I think Kaenar must have taken some ideas from her spa tour. I want a shower stall like the one in her book! I found the characters very likeable and sweet and I won't hesitate to recommend Jude's Choice for a wonderful evening's pleasure. Trot right out and pick up your copy from Ellora's Cave.

Don't forget to stop by Amarinda's blog at www.amarindajones.blogspot.com for her take on the trials of the working world. And then stop over at Kelly's blog at www.kkirch.blogspot.com where she has the Saga today. What will she do with Emmeline and Merle? Will Merle get a make-over? Check it out!





The Annual Christmas Ornament

The annual Christmas ornament was a serendipitous fluke. When my sons were around two or three years old, we started collecting a new ornament for each individual in our little family. The ornaments very deliberately were unusual and unmarked with the years or names. My intention as the years passed was quite simple.

Remembering my own first Christmas away from home and how my house hunk and I decorated our tree from discarded ornaments from family and friends, I wanted each child to have some of their own ornaments to take with them when they moved to their own apartment or home. Every year the ornaments were all identical so that whichever home we now visit, we all have that small sense of continuity. If we traveled close to Christmas time, the ornaments might have been chosen on the trip. Other years they were hand made or chosen as a group when we went out Christmas shopping.

Each year as we decorate the trees, there are memories and conversations about the ornaments that hang on those branches. My oldest granddaughter is now old enough to ask about each one as we choose just the right place for it on the tree. And in the asking and sharing of memories, a new tradition begins.
My children who have children of their own have continued the tradition. That's how memories are made.

Anny





5 comments:

  1. Gee, now I want to know what happened in the shower stall. I am off to buy the book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that ornament idea. My MIL does this every year with white ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, Anny:) It's already on The List!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, blog, Anny. My husband got me a tree ornament the first year we were married and has continued to do so for 30 years.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview!

    And I love the tradition with the Christmas ornaments.

    ReplyDelete