Sunday, September 2, 2007

Winds of Change

Today is our day of rest from the ever-changing saga with Louella, Jonas, and Sam. But don't let that prevent you from stopping by Kelly's blog at http://www.kkirch.blogspot.com/ to see who she quoted this week. And then roll on over to Amarinda's blog to get her take on online job applications at http://www.amarindajones.blogspot.com/


IMPROMPTU CONTEST FOR LABOR DAY! Leave a comment on either of my blogs or on my webpage at www.annycook.com with your favorite legal Scrabble word by midnight EST on Monday. I'll draw a name or two out of the hat and award a couple of prizes. And on Friday this week, I'll post the entire list. Maybe you'll find some new words for your next Scrabble game.




I'm an inveterate, nosy reader. Post an intriguing title and you have me snagged. This is especially true on the internet. This is why I spent time reading a long article on the congress returning to a lot of work.



Returning from where? Ohhhh. It seems that they had a month long vacation (with pay). I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone personally that gets a month long vacation. Actually, most of my acquaintances are lucky to get a three day weekend. The article was all about the difficulties of accomplishing their agendas now that they're back at work. Hmmmm. Maybe they should have skipped the vacation and worked on the agendas instead?



Coincidentally, last night I chatted with my neighbor about politics. This is not a normal conversation for us, but occassionally we get caught up in the ins and out of politics and government. We talked about how things needed to change and how unhappy we were with the way things are going. I said, "We need to fire them all and start over." She agreed, but pointed out that it wasn't likely to happen.



It could.



It would require the desire for change on the part of every voter. And this is how it would work. Don't vote for a party. Vote for the new guy/gal regardless of party. After all, what has the party system accomplished? N-O-T-H-I-N-G! There's a Scrabble word for you.



How long has your Representative or Senator been in Washington, D.C.? F-O-R-E-V-E-R! Well, don't you think it's time to retire him or her? Think about it. Some of our congressmen have been in Washington since before the majority of voters were born. That's right. Think about that.



This election, I don't plan to vote for any incumbent. If we voted out the incumbents every election, then there wouldn't really be any attraction to the office except the will to represent the constituents. Lobbyists would have to work with an entirely new group every election. Fat cat congressmen would have to find a new feeding trough.



Whoever ends up being President would have to work with the Congress instead of wasting our time and money fighting party battles that have nothing to do with governing and everything to do with territory and power.



Of course, everyone would have to vote. Everyone. My friends in Australia are amazed at the way Americans feel about voting. We're sort of wishy-washy about it, aren't we? What if we lost that right? It could happen, you know. Maybe the reason we have fat-cat congressmen is because we're too lazy and apathetic to do anything about it. Maybe.



So here's my challenge. Think about it. Think about how different things would be if we had a mostly new congress along with a new president. And think about what would happen if we actually fired them when they didn't work.



We have that right. They work for us. And if they're doing a lousy job and we continue to let them work for us, then that's our fault. Most of us live in a real world where incompetent workers are fired. I don't know about you but I'm ready for the winds of change.



Anny

5 comments:

  1. I like the way you think, lady. I would love to shake up the system. There's no reason a congressperson should not fear their responsibilities to the nation. They SHOULD wonder if they will be re-elected, should worry if the people feel their concerns are met, should stress about whether or not they've earned their pay.

    For the people, by the people... and if it ain't, do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read your post to hubby, and he most heartedly agrees with you:) I've been voting for newcomers the past several elections (except for the ones I like), but so far, the majority doesn't seem to agree with me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing is while I agree with you - life just does not work that way. Whoever gets into power starts off good and fresh and then they become the same as the party that was turfed out. You know the one about power corrupts - that's the problem...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course it does. So don't give them more than the 4 - 6 year limit. By then, you have a new crop in office.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately in Oz we follow the stupid Britsih system and we can be stuck with the forever

    ReplyDelete